Safety at sea depends heavily on our ability to signal our presence. A drifting the diver is easily dragged by the current, sometimes at considerable distances from the boat. With swell, the buoy is no longer seen at a short distance and sound signaling is, under these circumstances, the fastest and most effective.
In response to this important security issue, we've released the Storm Whistle, the most powerful and effective security whistle on the market. Ideal for Blue Water Hunting and for Underwater Fishing in general, its shape and dimension also allow it to be used with ease in and even under water.
The tests established a range in excess of half a nautical mile in almost all weather conditions and approximately 15 meters in water. Storm Whistle is made of flexible and resistant plastic, does not deteriorate in the sun or salt water and works in any position, even upside down.
Storm Whistle is currently used in the US by institutions such as the USArmy Special Forces, Washington Coast Guard, Chicago and New York Police Department, and American Red Cross.
- The Storm whistle is twice as loud as any other mouth-blown whistle in the world. Initial testing was conducted by the Hearing Conservation Programs Inc., who tested the decibel rating of various military, sports and survival whistles against the Storm whistle. These first tests were performed in a sound proof booth at a distance of 15 feet with the whistle being blown by mouth, and had a number of variables, such as the person blowing the whistle and the accuracy of the sound level devices.
- The second set of tests, conducted by the Central Institute for the Deaf, were performed in open air at a distance of 15 feet, 25 feet and 50 feet. Here the whistles were attached to a constant air source which was adjusted to the normal blowing strength typically generated by the mouth. The sound the whistles made was then analyzed by computer, using a double blind technique, detailing the amplitude and signature of the sound created.
- With a standard whistle, nonproductive high frequency (over 5000 Hz) and nonproductive low frequency (below 2000 Hz) sounds are created. Because of the patented harmonic chamber that is unique to the Storm whistle, these high and low frequency sounds are recycled and focused into our extremely loud single 3150 hertz frequency of double the standard amplitude.
- The focused 3150 Hz frequency was generated intentionally in accordance with government recommendations that showed that the 3150 Hz tone is the most readily heard over the noise of motors, crowds, and explosions.
- In all these cases, test results showed the Storm whistle as being twice as loud as the other whistles.